Sunday, December 28, 2014

Keep Close

During this Christmas time I've noticed that so many pictures show Mary and the baby Jesus snuggling. They show her laying down next to the child. I saw a picture again this morning where the closeness was there. It made me think of how parenting is not about all the running around we might do. It doesn't matter if it's getting kids to their activities, cleaning the house, or making sure they have their homework done. Those might be things parents do because we feel it's part of the job description. But, are they really? The main role of a parent is to be close to their child. It's to hold them close when they're happy and hold them closer when they're not. I'm not suggesting life is always about snuggling. It doesn't need to be a physical closeness. If our children get older and feel like they can't talk to us...who cares if the floor was just swept? If I had to decide between rushing off to a dance class or strengthening a relationship, I'd choose the relationship. I would choose the child. I would stop, I would listen, I would support. The class is for the child. But, relationships and people...those are for a lifetime. I'm going to be more conscious of choosing as Mary did with Jesus. Hold on for as long as I can because before I know it...it will be time to let go. I want to be sure that when the time comes to let go I will have a sure knowledge that I have a strong relationship with that child. And, even though they might be living somewhere else and I'm not aware of each decision...I want to know we still have that bond. I want that child to have no doubt they can still come and I will still stop and listen, I will still support. I will still love unconditionally and hold them close - no matter how far away they are at the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment